Old 22-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Julie

Default bake dirt to kill weedseed?

Hi all,

I've got a beautiful 2-y-o "compost" pile which yielded lots of bait
worms last year... but when I took some of this dirt to start seeds
in, all I grew were weeds.

It seems I've heard at one time or other you can bake dirt - - in a
pan, in the oven - - to kill weed seeds. Any truth to this?

BTW the reason I enclosed "compost" in quotes is I've never added any
manure, nothing to help it cook other than coffee grounds. Not sure
if this qualifies as compost or not, but it sure is rich looking.

Julie in kY

(Tshirt weather this afternoon, and I've got the first jug of 'sun
tea' cooking on the woodshed roof)

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/