Old 25-10-2006, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default UK drought - end in sight

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

But why shouldn't we pay for what we use?

Mary

Yes I'm not arguing that we shouldn't pay for what we actually use. What
I said was that each unit at the moment is being priced low enough to be
appealing. People will think that they will save money as average bills
will be low.
When everyone is on a meter or enough that makes no difference, the
water companies can double or treble the price per unit as they see fit
and you will be paying a lot more for your water than you thought!
After all, as people install meters they will arguably be using LESS
water thus the amount of income generated will be reduced as water use
is reduced. This means the companies will have to charge more per unit
to get their investment and their profit returns.

er, well, I thought I knew what I meant................

The poll tax was based on per unit of consumption, (i.e. per adult) and
that didn't go down too well!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph