Old 25-10-2006, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens
Cynthia Cynthia is offline

Default Diseased money tree and is it a money tree?

For the last 4 years, I have had what I always thought was a money tree: it
looks like a succulent, slow growing, an abundance of shiny succulent round
leaves about the size of five cent pieces. It seems to like the sun and
doesn't mind a bit of water; it has so far preferred more water than I
though it would and I've always been rewarded with a new crop of leaves.

At the end of the winter it had an aphid infestation which I was slow to
react to and then there was a shower of hail: the plant was looking rough
and I figured that it must be a combination of the two. I kept a closer eye
on the plant, making sure that I would keep it watered and treat any aphids
I saw.

There have been no more aphids, but the plant hasn't made any progress for
the last month which is very unusual and then yesterday I realised that the
plant was diseased and it looks quite serious now.

It's very ugly. It looks like it's developing knuckles all over it and in
many places these areas have developed holes where the underlying tissue
looks torn and rotting. Nothing is mushy, but it looks as though something
is attacking it from the inside.

I need to do something fast - any ideas?

By the way, when I do a search for Money Tree on the internet, the only
result I've had on a plant, was information on a tree which grows in
wetlands of South America. It didn't sound at all like the thing I have
here. Does anyone know the proper name for what we call a money tree over
here?

Cynthia.
Sydney.