Old 25-10-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Rhubarb

K wrote:
Farm1 writes
"Will" wrote in message
My well esablished crown of rhubarb is very vigorous and the stems

look
inviting. Is it
wise to pick and stew some of the stems at this time or should they

be left
alone?

I'd eat them.

The theory is
1) don't pick late in the season because it weakens the crown for next
year - this shouldn't be a problem in your case
2) don't pick late in the season because oxalic acid levels in the stems
are higher

I think there are nicer things available at this time of year than
inferior rhubarb. Oxalic acid in the diet is on the whole not good
news, since the body's way of getting rid of it is to combine with
one's blood calcium. The older we get, the more important it is to keep
up the calcium. Another nifty trick it plays is that the excreted
compound, calcium oxalate, isn't water-soluble, so the crystals can
collect in your waterworks -- this is worse for male animals, which
have a longer and narrower tube, and presumably also in men.

That said, I find it hard to believe that an occasional crumble made
with greenish rhubarb would make any difference. If in doubt, a calcium
tablet or two should prevent the oxalic getting into the blood: it'll
combine in the gut and, because the oxalate is insoluble, pass out
through the bowel instead of going into the bloodstream.

--
Mike.