Old 25-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Green tomatoes

Alan Holmes wrote:
[...]
The wife of a freind of mine gave me a recipe for banana chutney and it is
delicious!

Yes: it sounds like one of those half-aced things they put in to pad
out cookery books, but it's actually one of the best. Are your
ingredients anything like these?..

3 lb bananas
6 oz onion
4 oz sultanas
2 tsp curry powder; or garam masala+a pinch of ground fenugreek
6 oz white sugar
1 tsp salt
10 fl oz spiced vinegar. (It would keep better with double the vinegar,
but I think that might overpower the fruit.)

For some reason, bananas and ready-made curry powder (which I _don't_
use when making Indian-type food!) like one another: You can also dress
sliced bananas with a mixture of yogurt and mayo lightly flavoured with
curry powder.

--
Mike.