Old 25-10-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default Growing soya beans in UK

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?
An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
generally USA, Brazil etc.
Any thoughts?

Pam in Bristol

I tried them last year as part of an HDRA trial. I believe they were a
variety called Ustie which has been bred fo UK conditions and which are
now sold by Thompson and Morgan and possibly others.

I found that there was a high failure rate with germination and in the
report for the trial it turned out that most participants had found the
same. The few that germinated grew on then without too much difficulty
and the quality of the beans was foine but yield not very high.
It may be that T & M will address the germination issues in which case I
would say they are well worth trying.

Janet G