Old 26-10-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt[_1_] Eric Hunt[_1_] is offline

Default Is fluoride in the water toxic?

Letting water stand overnight to evaporate the chlorine only works with
water that's been sanitized using chlorine gas.

Many water systems are coverting to a more stable form of chlorine,
chloramine. It never evaporates. Google it - there's lots written about it,
both pro and con.

San Francisco converted a year or so ago. I don't grow water-quality
sensitive plants, and the plants I do grow haven't complained.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

wrote in message
ups.com...
John,
Melbourne tap water is usually very soft. I don't know which reservoirs
are supplying your water but the TDS of the reservoirs for the south
east are usually in the 40-80ppm range. Check your water company's
website for their water quality tests. If you're at all concerned about
chlorine (which is generally low to start with), let the water stand
overnight and it will dissipate out.