Old 26-10-2006, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Is fluoride in the water toxic?

Chloramine is not used in the Melbourne water supply (OP is from
Melbourne). In John's case, letting the water stand O/N is an
appropriate method of removing chlorine.

Eric Hunt wrote:
Letting water stand overnight to evaporate the chlorine only works with
water that's been sanitized using chlorine gas.

Many water systems are coverting to a more stable form of chlorine,
chloramine. It never evaporates. Google it - there's lots written about it,
both pro and con.

San Francisco converted a year or so ago. I don't grow water-quality
sensitive plants, and the plants I do grow haven't complained.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org