Old 26-10-2006, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default boards versus what?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Little Weed" wrote...
I am planning on removing the boards from my new inherited plot. Some
will be burned on the bonfire next week, the remainder are rotting
anyway and harbour slugs.
I was planning on putting down bark chips - but without the boards to
demarcate the boundaries, they will blow across the plots ( I assume).
Sooo
any suggestions to demarcate the plots and what to put down on the
paths would be gratefully received!
Help!
I'm on the last leg of sorting it out before winter )

We have used chippings on the central path (the only path)on our new plot
and have found that they do end up on the soil a bit but it's not a
problem,
worse is that without a solid edge it is difficult to keep the path
looking
straight edged as you keep damaging the edge. Would be better if the
paths
could be edged but the cost of tanalised timber gravel boards is
prohibitive, concrete gravel boards are even more expensive.

I've used old bricks on edge: they were free, and looked really good.
Mike.

I've used old wine bottles turned upside down and tapped into the soil. Pic
at : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm
They have been in place now for 11 years and nor a single breakage!
it takes a while to drink enough wine though..............hic ....... "~)
Jenny