Old 26-10-2006, 10:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_1_] Jonno[_1_] is offline

Default these brown eggs ....

But its illegal to do so
See here http://www.poultryhelp.com/eggtrivia.html

Jonno wrote:
There are apparently some feeds available to colour eggs, but being
artificial it will probably have side effects.

SyrianPrince wrote:
brown inside brown outside
i read that red ear lobed chickensd lay brownshelled eggs and white
ear lobed birdds lay white shells
food has nothing to do with shell colour....

this fits with my small experience of chickens.
maybe there are a lot more commercial cross bred red lobed birds round
now?????

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"John Savage" wrote in message
I've been puzzled by the uniformly-toned eggs we buy from the
supermarket,
and am left wondering whether these are the product of brown/black
hens,
or are the product of white hens but dipped in a brown dye bath to
satisfy
'changing consumer demands'. The eggs, not the hens. :-)

To assist in solving this, I'd like to hear from people who raise
their own chooks: after you empty the shell and peel off its
translucent
white membraneous liner, is the revealed inside surface of the shell
the
same brown tone as the outside, or is it white even when the shell's
outside is brown?
Yuck. I've just dug through my compost bucket in the kitchen to aid
in your research. I hope you appreiate it :-)) My hens produce eggs
that are as uniformly brown inside as they are outside.