Old 26-10-2006, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver[_1_] Amethyst Deceiver[_1_] is offline

Default Save Stratford Allotments Petition

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

If 6 or more people in an area demand an allotment the local Council
has to provide them, and within a reasonable distance.
We lost our fight although the Council have conceded and will remake
about 15 plots within the new Park our old site is to become.
Meanwhile we have all moved to other sites to continue growing, in
our case it's and improvement overall.

--
Regards
Bob H

What do councils call a "reasonable distance"? I ask because the only
allotments I have seen down here are in Truro which is 5 miles away.
Of no matter to me as I grow little veg (as you will know!) my sister
on the other hand has 3 full allotment plots, but I am not sure how
far from her they are (Portsmouth)
It was interesting to hear that the old rule still applies, I am
surprised a lot more people do not step forward.

People don't step forward because, like you, they don't know it (still)
applies.