Old 26-10-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ ®óñ©  ©  ² * ¹°°³ is offline

Default Save Stratford Allotments Petition

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:49:13 +0100, K wrote
and included this (or some of this):

It is a lot easier to take over an allotment which has been in active
cultivation, but I'm not sure there'll be a vast difference, in terms of
yield, between 'virgin' ground and an allotment which has been
uncultivated for more than a year.

That said, the idea that a new allotment on a field somewhere is an
adequate substitute for a carefully tended and cultivated allotment is
ludicrous.

The best and biggest crop of tomatoes I ever had was when I took
off the turf on a more or less green-field site,turned over the soil
and stuck a greenhouse on top. The yield was enormous; all they
ever got was a bit of Tomorite.

The second best crop I ever saw was in a neighbour's garden in his
new greenhouse. He didn't really have a clue what he was doing,
stuck in some canes and tomato plants, didn't bother about taking out
side-shoots, attacked the plants liberally all over last thing at
night with a hose-pipe and had an amazing crop.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³