Old 26-10-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Craig Craig is offline

Default What causes Splitting butternut squash ?

On Oct 25, 4:03*am, (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
Craig said:

* During the summer and fall, a couple of my butternut squash
developed splits in the them,
* Most of the splits were around the top near about 2" below the stem,
*Other splits also happened vertically up and down the squash.

* Most of the butternut squash did fine though.

*What would have caused this ?Could be the sun, most likely to occur if foliage has been lost to mildew,

exposing the fruit. *Some varieties are more likely to crack than others.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Okay, that certainly makes sense here. As most of the leaves did
turn white, then yellow then gone.
Thankfully I did get quite a lot of squash.
And this is my first time ever growing winter squash.

What causes the white mildew on the leaves and next year how can I
stop it.

Thank You
Craig