Old 26-10-2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Butzmark Butzmark is offline

Default Sod Removal

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:40:46 -0400, "Dionysus" wrote:

I am putting in a 60 foot row of grapes in the spring. I need to dig up the
grass in about a three foot wide strip. In the past, I dug up the sod with
a shovel but now that I am chronologically advantaged, I need an easier way.
I have never used a tiller. Are they suitable for digging up sod or only
for turning dirt that has already had the sod removed? If they are
suitable, could someone recommend a brand and model please.

I think the easiest way to get rid of sod is mulching over it. I use
several layers of newspaper or one of cardboard covered with grass
clippings. This will decompose over a summer and may be tilled in or
planted in directly. It sounds like you want to do it over the winter.
I think mulch might still work, or black plastic which I have used
before. A tiller will cut up the grass but tilling dosn't kill it and
you'll be fighting it forvever. Grass is the worst weed in the garden.
Even my little Mantis tiller will do the job, though so slowly as to
not be worth it. The big rear tine tillers work best. The last time I
needed one I rented it for a day.