Old 26-10-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Sod Removal

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:40:46 -0400, Dionysus wrote:
I am putting in a 60 foot row of grapes in the spring. I need to dig up the
grass in about a three foot wide strip. In the past, I dug up the sod with
a shovel but now that I am chronologically advantaged, I need an easier way.
I have never used a tiller. Are they suitable for digging up sod or only
for turning dirt that has already had the sod removed? If they are
suitable, could someone recommend a brand and model please.

If you use a tiller, you'll be weeding grass forever. What you want is a
sod stripper, probably a power stripper, unless you like exercise.