Old 26-10-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rolling Thunder Rolling Thunder is offline

Default Sod Removal

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:40:46 -0400, "Dionysus" wrote:

I am putting in a 60 foot row of grapes in the spring. I need to dig up the
grass in about a three foot wide strip. In the past, I dug up the sod with
a shovel but now that I am chronologically advantaged, I need an easier way.
I have never used a tiller. Are they suitable for digging up sod or only
for turning dirt that has already had the sod removed? If they are
suitable, could someone recommend a brand and model please.

I'd look into renting a turf removing machine. It is designed to
remove turf just like turf farms do. You can remove the grass
and then move the sod to another area or, if it is good turf,
you may be able to sell it.

I saw this demonstrated on one of the gardening shows;
I think it was Gardening by the Yard. He was showing
how to remove sod for a brick path.

Thunder