Old 26-10-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve Weaver Steve Weaver is offline

Default Advice for deflasking Vanda seedlings

I just bought my first flask. It contains around fifteen seedlings,
each approximately 1.5 to 2 inches tall and wide, of Vanda bensonii.
Although this is a bit intimidating since it will be a new experience
for me, it's also very exciting. Now I just want to make sure that I do
whatever's in my power to help the seedlings start off on the right
track. They'll be growing indoors over the winter, where there are lots
of east and south facing windows; the temperature range fluctuates
between a high of 72 degrees F during the day, and a low of 65 degrees
F during the night. The humidity level during the winter hovers between
a high of 63% and a low of around 53% (the lower humidity level usually
is experienced at night, but I do have a couple of room humidifiers on
each floor of my house that keep the humidity from ever dropping below
the 53% value). I also have an RO unit so that the orchids are provided
with good quality water. Can anyone give me some advice regarding
whether or not the seedlings should do well in this environment,
whether they should be placed in a compot or potted individually, and
what kind of potting medium they will most likely respond best to. And
finally, if you have any direct experience with this species or Vanda
species in general that are just out of flask, can you let me know what
you would consider to be the average mortality rate for seedlings of
this size. I know and accept that there will be casualties, but since
this is my first experience with deflasked seedlings, I'd like to have
a general idea of what is considered an acceptable (as opposed to
ideal) die-off rate. Thank you in advance for your help.