Old 26-10-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Wild Winds!

"Little Weed" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Little Weed" wrote in message
ups.com...
High winds have hit Cumbria - as a first time allotmenteer, I've been
there today anxiously checking over newly planted fruit trees. luckily
I have good friends who will stake them for me, if the weather worsens
over the weekend when I am away! I almost feel like a new parent again
) Sadly I have also emailed pictures of my cabbage plants to friends
abroad - does it get better as time goes on?

No - but you become more confident :-)

Mary

Thanks Mary - I may need the confidence - as my friend's eyes glaze
over when I attempt a conversation with the words..."you know, my
allot.." and I am rapidly losing friends

Oh, the good ones will stick around :-)

I had tried to grow some Sarah Raven salad leaves in the back garden,
in (funnily enough) wooden wine boxes,

there's posh!

and the protective cloches were
ripped away from them last night in the storm and they have been
effectively flattened.

Ah well - learning curves and all that - even more boringly, I have
listed all of the seeds thus far bought, in my notebook.

Cor - how efficient! I still don't do that, never thought of it, but I do
keep a plan of the plots and number them so that I can do a proper rotation.
I thought I was being frightfuly efficient doing that!

Drums fingers when is spring in the north?

When it's summer everywhere else. Then we go straight into autumn, which is
short.

Mary