Old 26-10-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Wild Winds!

Little Weed writes

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Little Weed" wrote in message
ups.com...
High winds have hit Cumbria - as a first time allotmenteer, I've been
there today anxiously checking over newly planted fruit trees. luckily
I have good friends who will stake them for me, if the weather worsens
over the weekend when I am away! I almost feel like a new parent again
) Sadly I have also emailed pictures of my cabbage plants to friends
abroad - does it get better as time goes on?

No - but you become more confident :-)

You learn that something will go wrong every year - it may be winds,
late frosts, early frosts, germination failure, you completely forget to
water three whole trays of seedlings,,, But because you know this will
happen, you expect it and don't worry about it, and you find there are
all sorts of unexpected successes to celebrate

Thanks Mary - I may need the confidence - as my friend's eyes glaze
over when I attempt a conversation with the words..."you know, my
allot.." and I am rapidly losing friends
I had tried to grow some Sarah Raven salad leaves in the back garden,
in (funnily enough) wooden wine boxes, and the protective cloches were
ripped away from them last night in the storm and they have been
effectively flattened.

Ah well - learning curves and all that - even more boringly, I have
listed all of the seeds thus far bought, in my notebook.

Worth doing that, and listing what happened to all of them. I keep
meaning to do that ;-)
Remember "I never give up on a plant until I have well and truly killed
it three times" (Dave Poole)

Drums fingers when is spring in the north?

June ;-)
--
Kay