Old 26-10-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Wild Winds!

"Little Weed" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Little Weed" wrote in message

does it get better as time goes on?

No - but you become more confident :-)

Thanks Mary - I may need the confidence - as my friend's eyes glaze
over when I attempt a conversation with the words..."you know, my
allot.." and I am rapidly losing friends

Just get new friends with the same enthusiasm as you for gardening
:-))

I had tried to grow some Sarah Raven salad leaves in the back

garden,
in (funnily enough) wooden wine boxes, and the protective cloches

were
ripped away from them last night in the storm and they have been
effectively flattened.

Do you get brocccolli boxes in the UK? By that I mean polystyrene
boxes that are bout 30-40 cms deep and about 30 cm wide and about 50
cm long? They have no holes in the bottom but holes can be punched in
them and they make excellent planter boxes for small things that need
to be protected from the wind or elements such as a mesclun mix of
greens. You can plant several and if they need glass then an old
window on the top of the nest of boxes works wwell but usually if you
don't fill tem too full of potting mix then the plants stay low and
grow well with the warmthe and shelter of the polysyrene sides.