Old 27-10-2006, 01:25 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Farmers were talking about Global warming and climate change long
before the bulk of the population. Only the real lunatic city fringe
were talking about those things when I knew of dead boring and very
conservative farmers who'd noticed the impact on their land. They had
not only started talking about it but were also doing something about
it. It all started with dry land salinity problems anfdGod knows
farmers have been working on that problem for at least the last 15-20
years..

I think I posted about it here at the time, but we went to WA a few years ago
and drove through part of the wheat belt. I was fascinated and amused to see
contour ploughing, swaling, and even alley cropping going on -- all the
permie/greenie/hippy stuff! And a local told us that they were starting to
see an improvement, even though it looked to me that none of the techniques
had been in use very long.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue