Old 27-10-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Save Stratford Allotments Petition

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Well that's a mute point Janet.

You mean you're not allowed to discuss it?

(sorry couldn't resist Bob!)

Of the three allotment plots we have started only one was taken over from
another gardener and that certainly was not a benefit,

Both had excellent fertility from the start and little or no
diseases or pests (other than slugs).
We would go for a long term unused plot every time because, although it's
harder work to start with, it's all down to you.

** I'm told there was one of those gardeners on our present site a few years
back, too tight to buy manure or pay for it to be delivered, and he
complained his veg steadily got smaller and poorer over the years but would
still not pay for any fertilizer, eventually he gave up, leaving the plot
for some unsuspecting person.

I take your point about not minding losing long held allotment areas, I
have not had an allotment though my father held three in New Eltham,
many moons ago.
However I would have thought the council would only allow an area of
land/ground to replace your allotments that wouldn't be equally as
suitable for them to build the next quota of packed in houses, i.e.
something too steep, awkward, inaccessible or liable to flood?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph