Old 27-10-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rolling Thunder Rolling Thunder is offline

Default Health of Dogwood

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:11:58 GMT, Vince
wrote:

I noticed that the Dogwood has several areas that are about six or
seven inches long where the bark of the tree is missing, lengthwise
along the vertical limbs.

I confess that I have not given this tree any attention; no
fertilizer/food over the years. It does not bloom flowers for a very
long time in springtime.

Is this a good time of year to put in fertilizer/food stakes around
the base of the Dogwood? If not, when is best time to give it a
feeding ?

Thanks.

Vince
On Long Island, NY

Fertilize early spring when the tree starts to bud. Doing it now
will force growth that the harsh winter will kill.

Thunder