Old 30-10-2006, 12:46 PM
moleyguy moleyguy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl 1 Lucky Texan
moleyguy wrote:

Hi all,

Where we live, there is an empty house next door with a huge mole
problem. The bark garden has so many molehills they have joined
together and it looks like someone has been digging trenches. I've used
every kind of mole repellant to repel their occasional forays over our
side of the fence, but today I have decided that enough is enough and
thought I'd check out a gardening message board for some expert
advice...

Does anyone on here know the most effective way to kill them when they
come over to my back garden under the fence? I want every last one of
them, and their children, dead. Not diverted to next door for a month
or so until they have another go. Dead. Never to return again. Deceased
- though preferably not pushing up the daisies...

Any advice would be welcome. On registering I did a quick search for
"moles" and saw one of these recommended on another thread
http://tinyurl.com/tftwn

Can anyone else vouch for their effectiveness? Would some kind of
warfarin based/rat poison type bait be more effective? At the moment,
I'm seriously considering sticking a few bangers down the holes and
hoping they die of shock!

Cheers,

Moleyguy.

There is a very good reason the highest paid and most respected 'craft'
in olden times was molecatcher.

Here's my take on it;

1. Traps
2. Talpirid aka Tomcat
3. Giant Destroyer
4. Rodenator
5. Propane
6. Lawnmower exhaust

Each of the above have the potential to work, but each comes with
problems and risks. Then of course, a mole may just move in again next
spring. A mole has a large territory and is solitary. Unless they are
breeding or a female is raising pups - there is only one. They mostly
eat worms. They do not eat plants. They will abandon a set of tunnels
when the area is sparse in worms, so 3-4 of the above approaches require
close observation for present activity. numbers 5 and 6(which is my own,
as yet untesed, idea) have the risk that gasses could collect in
basements or the drainage/sewer system. Number 4 is very - uh - dramatic
and maybe not sutable for urban settinsg (see the videos at the website).
Good luck. I just gave mine a name and consider it an invisible pet.

the other stuff, repellents, windmills, sonic chasers,etc. are probably
worthless.

ymmv

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Thanks for the advice, that's really useful. If they are solitary then I will try and give (1) a go. If my luck's in then I'll get him, otherwise I might have to think about naming him like you have!

In the longer run I think I might invest in a fence with a concrete base once I'm sure they have left my side of the boundary...