Old 30-10-2006, 11:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

The Syney basin IS important for agriculture (one of my

Grandfathers
was a market gardener at Botany so I DO know of the importance of

this
area).

what name?

William (Bill) Mortimer aka "The Cabbage King".

I suspect my direct lot had moved to Leeton, and were heading to

Matcham
by then

Those stereotypically slow to accept change country people you

think
so little of, first noticed such issues as salinity about a

century
ago and they noticed dryland salinity in the mid 1920s.

The real problem for farmers were the various dept of agriculture

which
advised governments of the day and compelled some farmers to grow
certain crops in bad area.

And bad advice from Govt agencies and Consultants about high stocking
rates and increasing production by flogging the land was still going
on well into the 80s. Sad.