Old 30-10-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default boards versus what?

"Martin" wrote in message
On 29 Oct 2006 14:14:03 -0800, "Little Weed"
wrote:

Have you tried Marmite and water, or cornflakes and derris dust
mixedtogether or stale beer?

For the slugs?

Yes, and snails.

I was at Helmesley walled garden in N Yorkshire this weekend and one of
their notices suggested crushed egg shells and coffee grounds - will
let you know.
For now I'm just cutting them up

Saucers of beer certainly work.
Martin

We used to live next door to a fanatical slug hater. She had loads of 'beer
traps' in her garden, which used to attract a LOT of slugs and snails. The
funny thing was that I hardly had any at all..... I think they used to
migrate to her garden from miles around, thereby ridding the surrounding
gardens of the pests as well!

One night I saw a torch flickering in her garden in a weird fashion. I was
afraid it was burglars, but when I went out to check, it was my neighbour
doing her rounds topping up the traps !

Jenny