Old 30-10-2006, 10:48 PM posted to aus.gardens
Tish[_1_] Tish[_1_] is offline

Default Cucumbers and beans in Melbourne

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:45:24 GMT, "meeee"
wrote:

A 1kg packet of choc biccies is about 3.99 a kilo of apples is 5.99 min. at
Coles; don't get me started on grapes, bananas, etc. 2 min noodles are
cheap; cooking a dietician approved diet of varied vegies, dairy, healthy
carbs, etc is exxy nowadays; we spend 2-3 hundred a week for us and 2
toddlers and that's mostly fruit veg, and other healthy stuff; when we had
less money and had about half that to spend we just couldn't afford vegies
other than carrots, frozen peas, onions and potatoes. Okish but not my
preferred diet for raising children. Unfortunately the drought looks like
making things worse; sustainable home gardening seems the only answer. DH is
very interested in hydroponic gardening, but that will have to wait until we
get our own place.

On that note, has anyone on this forum tried aquaponics? I saw it on
Gardening Australia a few months ago, did a follow-up google, and it
seems very interesting (although the literature all posted such a rosy
picture that my "too good to be true" indicator flashed). I would
imagine it would work well once you had sorted out contamination
problems and the balance between the number of fish and the biomass of
veggies needed to clean the fish-water of fishpoo and wasted feed. I
also had ethical queries about what to feed the fish.

Tish