Old 29-10-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Grass and lawn rebuilding

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in Southern Canada. Recently, my steel cribbed water well
collapsed and I had to get a new one bored and sleeved with a fiberglass
casing.

From the heavy equipment and ground disturbance I have one hell of

mess in my back yard. Mainly sand overtop my existing grass... I scraped
most of it down with a backhoe and filled in the old well with it.

How would you suggest replanting grass in the spring? Should I just

get
a load of topsoil and lay the grass seed to it overtop of the old stuff?

or
Should I bring in a bobcat and remove the old topsoil before putting the

new
topsoil and seed down.?

I'm also thinking of just levelling the mess I have and laying sod

over
everything...old grass etc,

my thoughts, for what it is worth, is keep your existing soil (unless it is
really bad stuff). If it has worked well up to now keep it. It is accustomed
to your back yard and if it is reasonably fertile why spend money replacing
something that is useful.

Whether you need to till the rest of the sand in to the soil or add some
extra soil or organic matter to create new levels you have not said but what
you have is likely to be best for your garden.

If the soil is quite sandy already you may turn over some compost in to the
soil along with any remaining sand to create a decent soil mix. If you bring
in new soil you can also bring in new seed and weeds.

Whether you level and reseed or sod is another choice, I myself prefer
seeding. Sod seems like sodding hard work.

rob