Old 31-10-2006, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jaygreg jaygreg is offline

Default Copper Sulfate To Kill Roots In A Drain?

I like the concept. It makes sense. And it's an oportunity for me to rent
more tools and putz around like a contractor. Thanks! I've got confidense
inthis solution... provided I can be accurate in locaating the pipe.

"Growers Information" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fortunately I have never had to deal with the issue. You may want to
check out this article though.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/326_Sew...e__Roots.shtml

Good Luck!

jaygreg wrote:
I removed a few soup cans full of small roots from my main drain with a
power auger (snake). I have no way of knowing how far in the line these
were
growing but I suspect it was the toward the end. The unfortunate thing
is,
the auger was 100' long but the line is probably 125'; there may be more
beyond but the water is flowing well now.

I was introduced to copper sulfate as a possible remedy. I'm skeptical.
The
container claims it kills roots and is to be used while there is still
flow
but I wonder just how effectively it does kill roots. Instructions call
for
anywhere from 2 to 5 pounds to be flushed down a commode twice a year.

Will someone with some understanding of how copper sulfate really reacts
with small roots in a drain please comment.