Old 31-10-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Unripe pears

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...
We have a pear tree and live in a cold damp wet country.
A small number of pears ripened this year and some continue to ripen but
the great majority never ripen.
Anyone know what to do with them other than throw them over the back wall
at our neighbours?
I heard someone mention poaching and storing unripe pears; anyone know how
to do that?

Poaching is one solution but it takes ages to prepare hard pears and is
wearing on the hands.

When we had a pear tree and more fruit than even our large and always-hungry
family could consume I made pear chutney, it was excellent and meant that we
could enjoy them year-round.

Two or three times we made perry too but they need to be ripe for that.

Time should ripen the most obstinant, keep them at room temperature. They
are ripe when they give ever so slightly if you press gently at the flower
end. They don't keep for long when they're ripe :-(

I think it's best to pick them even before they're ripe so that they're not
damaged by falling.

Mary

Des in Dublin