Old 31-10-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Unripe pears

"Andy" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...
We have a pear tree and live in a cold damp wet country.
A small number of pears ripened this year and some continue to ripen but
the great majority never ripen.
Anyone know what to do with them other than throw them over the back wall
at our neighbours?
I heard someone mention poaching and storing unripe pears; anyone know
how to do that?

Des in Dublin

You probably have 'Conference' pears ( fairly long appearance ), as I
think the other usual type 'Williams' ripens in early September. I picked
my Conference a couple of weeks back whilst they were still hard and they
have all ripened up gradually in the fruit bowl. Pinch the neck firmly to
see if they are ripe, the flesh will give way a little if they are ripe.

Thanks Andy!

Andy