Old 31-10-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Unripe pears

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
When we had a pear tree and more fruit than even our large and
always-hungry family could consume I made pear chutney, it was excellent
and meant that we could enjoy them year-round.

I do not suppose you can remember the recipe. That sounds like a good idea!
I will see if I can find some fruit chutney recipes in me curry book.s

One year at my old lotty, all our pears had disappeared - someone
believes it was to make gin (!?)

This year, there's so much fruits I've made tons of stewed pears (and
apples) in orange juice (bit of sugar and cinamon stick), remove them
from the pan once they're soft but not too soft, make sirop with the
juice (adding sugar and mixing till juice evaporates) and put the pears
back in. We consume immediately with ice cream, or custard or for
breakfast with muesli and yogurt. I also keep them in the fridge in
jars, bowls, any containers and eat well past xmas. I've never bothered
putting them in jars, sealed and in cellar. Food here goes too quickly
)