Old 31-10-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller Rhiannon Macfie Miller is offline

Default Parsnip seeds

Robert wrote:

"the swede" wrote in message
:
: If I open a packet of parsnip seeds and do not use all of them.

Will I
: be able to use them at a later date?

Parsnips are renowned for their poor germination rate and the longer

you
keep them the more they deteriorate. Better to get fresh seed if you

meant
to keep them for a good while in spite of the distant 'use by date'

that I
see is even on parsnip packets these days.

I've posted this already, but because of some bug in my newsreader it
came out in the wrong thread. Sorry!

Last year I sowed some old parsnip seeds in toilet roll tubes in the
greenhouse (it's much more reliable to sow indoors than to sow straight
into the garden). The three-year-old 'Tender and True' did not
germinate at all; the two-year-old F1 'Gladiator' germinated very well.

Rhiannon