Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
KR KR is offline

Default Garden design

We just had retaining walls replaced and our garden is a huge bare area
now with just 2 trees poking up. I have no idea where to start with
designing a lay out. Right now I'd like to put a stepping stone
pathway through with a bench and bird bath along the way. Other then
that I'm clueless. It is a very large area on a slight slope, there is
a 4.5 foot retaining wall at the front that comes up from our lawn,
there is another 5 foot retaining wall (all stone) at the back that
leads to the road. There is a set of stone steps that leads up the
hill.

Any ideas or great websites for garden design?? Right now I'm thinking
I would have an island type layout, with plants all less then 1.5 feet
on the side towards the lawn and have a border garden on the side
towards the road where the trees are right now.

I guess I need to post some pictures to display what I'm talking about.
I could sure use some help though! Can I go with all kinds of colors
or should I stick to just 3-4? I'm in gardening zone 5b by the way, in
Canada.

Thanks for any help! I'm new to the group and look forward to reading
and posting here!

KR