Old 31-10-2006, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
. i mean, sydney people (and those
in
other places) have been experiencing the reality of water

shortages
for 5
years, haven't they?

Oh come on! Sydney people wouldn't know a water shortage if it

bit
them on the arse. They only think they do.

dude, they know. they don't "know" in the sense of "being deeply

affected by
economically", but they, obviously, know. it's ludicrous to suggest
otherwise when it's been a hot topic for many years now, & i was

living
there when it first all blew up. again, just because most of them

don't rely
on rainfall to make a living does not make the awareness any less

acute.
(snip)

Well they know is a very, very limited sense. And that sense is that
they are now talking of the need to get MORE water for Sydney. And
taking it from further and further way, like the Shoalhaven River.
The bloody Shoalhaven for God's sake!

If they had any clues of the impact of their gawping needs they should
(but not likely since they don[t really have nay clues) all be up in
arms about taking water in to Sydeny from as far away as Kangaroo
Valley (which is happening now) but no, they want more and from even
further away!

I suggest you do two things. Do some reading up on P.A. Yeomans.

He
was a farmer whose published material goes back to the mid 1950s.

The
second thing is to look at the 2006-07 copy of the ABCs "Open

Garden
Scheme", page 22 on Lyndfield Park. That farmer started work on

his
farm in 1982 and even then what he was doing was not unique. All

that
knowledge was around even then.

frankly i'm a bit amazed at how combative your response is, and the

way you
feel it's all right to generalise about witless cityfolk where it's

not all
right for people to make statements they acknowledge are general(?)

And frankly I'm equally amazed at your inability to take on board refe
rences given to enable you to do some research and that may challenge
your generalisations (you can even access then online so don't even
have to inconvenience yourself by going outside) .

i'm not sure where you might have got the idea that i'm painting

country
people as dimwits when i'm _obviously_ not.

Really? I particulalry enjoyed the one about:
"city peeps are generally better-educated and have a much broader view
of the
world, their world is just bigger than ours is"

Such a generalisation really surprised me. I know I get to the Opera
House more often than my city rels do now that the ballet dancer has
ended her career (and they only went to see her anyway, not a range of
things) and I am always amazed at how busy my city friend and rels are
but how little they actually use the benefits of the city. The
routine of daily living for them is much more restrictive on their
lifestyle than it is for the country people I know. They go to more
restaurants and movies but not to do anything useful in a cultural or
educative sense - just much more social. Lots of talk but no meat.

And when it comes to education, my (country born and bred and working)
Mechanic has 2 degrees and he's not the only country person I know who
has such surprising qualifications behind his rough exterior. I also
get a particular kick out of the very traditonal sheep farmer I know
who looks like a total hay seed and lives in the deep deep country but
who has a PhD (thesis was on sheep).