Old 01-11-2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden design

If you have deer, don't focus too much on tulips, based on my experience.
They ate the buds off every single plant. Didn't touch the daffodils,
though, or the crocuses.

This is a slow time for garden centers, by the way, which means it's a good
time to go and pick their brains. You might get lucky and find someone who
REALLY knows something about the plants they sell. Bring photographs and
diagrams, and if they give you lots of information, be sure to reward them
with your business in the spring. Ask about preparing planting holes
correctly, so you're ready to do it when the time comes. Mitchell's books go
into detail about this subject, but with enough humor that it'll sound easy.

"KR" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks! I have at least 5 months of winter ahead of me, then a full
summer of trying things, I'm certainly not in a rush. For now I will
just plant a few fall bulbs.

KR

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"KR" wrote in message
oups.com...

Any ideas or great websites for garden design??

Great idea: Your library, and at least a dozen books. If it takes you
less
than 3 months to come up with a design, it's probably a bad one.

Three book recommendations:
"One Man's Garden" and "The Essential Earthman", both by Henry Mitchell.
"The Essential Shade Gardener", by George Schenck. There has never been a
better book written in this category. And, he's very clear about which
plants also do well in sun. Some plants fail completely with the wrong
light. Others just grow differently, but are equally beautiful.