Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Blackberries

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:26:19 +0000, Darren
wrote:

Hello Folks, first timer here,

A Basic question.

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside
the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it
is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then
produce fruit when ready.

I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be
about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like
the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than
purchasing a ready made plant.

Even if it did grow, you would not know what sort of plant you would
get. Blackberries do not come true from seed. You might be lucky,
you might get something like a wild fruit.
For instance, I have a thornless blackberry plant which often seeds
itself around my garden, thanks to the birds! The leaves are like the
parent plant but the seedlings all have thorns.
If you know of someone with a good variety, the best thing to do is to
get them to bury the tip of a long growing shoot in some soil. It
will root, and you can detach it from the parent plant, dig it up and
plant it where you want it, knowing that it will be true to its
parent.

Pam in Bristol