Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews[_2_] Gill Matthews[_2_] is offline

Default Blackberries

"Darren" wrote in message
news

Hello Folks, first timer here,

A Basic question.

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside
the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it
is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then
produce fruit when ready.

I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be
about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like
the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than
purchasing a ready made plant.

Thank you in advance.

You dont need to buy cuttings. If you have seen a blackberry bush you like
that gives good fruit without too many homicidal tendencies, you should take
cuttings and grow them on. I believe that blackberry seed itself does not
germinate well unless it has been through a gut. You could try collecting
bird droppings that have a purple colour, but you may need a fair few as
even post gut the germination rate isn't brilliant. After you have been to
all this trouble, you may find you have a rampaging spiny monster which only
yeilds a handfull of small hard fruit. I would take cuttings if I were you.

Gill M