Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] merlotbrougham@hotmail.com is offline

Default MidWest hydrangeas care pre-winter?

wrote:
My hydrangeas have huge 16" blossoms this year. The stems are bent
from the weight. They started spring with white color and turned green
color around August. Now they are rust colored but seem disease free.
What and when do I do with these pre-winter?

Find out the exact type of hydrangeas you have and prune accordingly.
DO NOT prune now if they bud off old wood. Folks in my town (Chicago)
use tomato cages or shepard's hooks to support huge blooms so they
don't flop over. Same goes with huge peonies in spring.
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html is a good resource.