Old 22-03-2003, 09:44 PM
ned

Default Do mulcher mowers work?

Iain McWilliams wrote:
Lawn cutting season is upon us once more and I've decided to treat
myself to a new mower. I'm looking for a 18-20 inch cut 4 wheeled
rotary mower but have come across "mulcher" mowers that seem too
good to be true. I don't mind cutting the grass but do object to
waiting 30 mins in the queue at the local tip to deposit 4 bin bags
of clippings.

So the question is do mulchers deliver what they claim? ie the
ability to cut the grass without contributing to the landfill
problem, or do they just leave a finer cut layer of grass clippings
on the lawn?

Oh yes! But, .........
They can't work miracles. If the grass is long, then you will end up
with cut grass lying on the surface. Given the time and the
inclination, ;-) a second cut will reduce this.
The principle relies on clippings flying around in the cutting tray
and getting chopped more than once. If you don't clean out the cutting
tray after use, it becomes clogged solid with the fine mulch which can
dry to concrete - thus reducing the space for clippings to fly around.
ie no mulching!
Provided you can get into the regular cutting habit they certainly do
the job. I have something approaching half an acre of grass and the
thought of trying to dispose of all those clippings drove me to a
mulching mower. I have not been disappointed.
Mine is a Bolen ride-on mulching mower powered by a Briggs & Stratton
motor. 'Had it seven years. No trouble. Wouldn't be without it.

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.