Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Butternut squash.

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"sam" wrote in message
om...
I cleared the butternut squashes from the garden this morning.
Last year I was given two seedlings by my neighbour, and as
the plants grew they rampaged all over the place.
This year I erected a frame and they grew up it, using much
less ground space.

In the open?

Where are you? I'd like to try next year.

Mary

I normally grow ornamental gourds which look superb but this year I also
tried butternut squash. Dismal results,however, my sister who only lives

up
the road had a superb crop. Methinks that there are many varieties of

seeds?
Until recently the consensus of opinion was that it was impossible to get
them to crop oop North.

I still think that if we had not had a wonderful summer they would have
amounted to not very much, I tried 2 years running but only got a couple of
squashes per plant (which were enormous, the plants that is!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk