Old 02-11-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Blackberries

In message , WaltA
writes
June Hughes wrote:
WaltA writes
On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:11:01 -0000, "Trevor" wrote:
Note:
Here in Yorkshire (and also in Scotland when I lived in Aberdeenshire) they
are called Brambles (both the plant and the fruit).

The same in Cumberland where I grew up.
The activity was called "brambling"

Was it? I grew up in Cumberland and don't remember that. Must be old
age
June Hughes

or you was brung up by a posher lot than I was !

What I cant remember is if it magically turned into blackberries when
it was cooked (eg. in a pie with apples or jam) and into wine by my
mum, I think it, they, did !
(Gran made elderberry wine, just for medicinal purposes ;-) )

Did u go collecting burnets for wine making as well ?

Not until I was grown up. Then I mainly collected elderberries but my
wine-making days are long gone.
--
June Hughes