Old 02-11-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Uses for alkaline soil

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:58:14 GMT, Paul Luton
wrote:

Most alpines will do well at pH 8 except asiatic autumn gentians and
probably lewisias . Gentiana verna / angulosa should be fine. (if you are
on granite you are not in south east England and so have less risk of
drying out). Dianthus will love it as will saxifrages, alpine poppies,
aqualigia etc. As you say well drained with some organic matter.

Enjoy

Paul

Paul, thank you for that. It solves a problem as to what to do with
the excavated soil (and there's going to be quite a lot of it!), even
if I can't use it for the bog garden. I feel a book-purchase coming
on.....

--
Chris