Old 03-11-2006, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Leaf damage ID help pleaser

K Barrett wrote:
Nancy, before you get "miffed".

Pat is a vendor who sells orchids and takes enomous amounts of time with his
clients to be sure they understand how to grow their orchids.

Walmart does not.

Now who will answer questions when Walmart forces vendors like Pat out of
business?

Okay, Okay. Right now for me, there are no local venders. It's a 5
hour drive to St. Louis, 2 hrs to KC, 2 hrs to Springfield. I either
have to order on line or occasionally I purchase at a box store. It's
a mess.

Our local club took a field trip to a Kansas City grower the 24th of
October. That was fun, and yes I bought from him. I was thrilled
because he had an Lc Stephen Oliver Fouraker, in bloom, and agreed to
sell. Soon as I saw the bloom, I was like a bird dog on point. All he
had to do was fire the round, I was ready to retrieve.

It is an interesting place to go. They've converted an old limestone
mine for orchid growing. Everything is under lights and the
environment is absolutely controlled. Most of his trade is blooming
plants. Some nice white phals, Onc Sharry Baby, and tropicals. All
quick sellers. As he put it, not always exciting, but pays the bills.
There were other orchids (big sign NOT FOR SALE), that he kept for his
own gratification or more serious collectors, and some tagged pods
maturing. Maybe in the future he will have some compots or seedlings,
or I will have more money.

I wish there were growers in my area. If Pat was around this area, I'd
probably get on his nerves by being a regular customer. I can see it
now, "Oh no, it's her again. Get a restraining order." The good news
is that while I may beg, I won't switch tags.

The last show I went to was in St. Louis. The venders tables had
nearly the same selections. Bread and milk, easy sales, not
particularly interesting (to me anyway). One vender had cattleyas,
bare root, thrown in a banana box under the table that was used to
restock the 3 or 4 that he displayed on the table. Yes, I bought 1,
but I must have looked at 20 or 30 before I was satisfied that the new
lead growths and root buds looked good. I probably shouldn't have
bought the best of a bad lot. The "S" on my leotard stands for stupid.

Anyway, I'm in a great mood right now. The programmable thermostats
and heaters worked perfectly last night. 2 more nights in the mid 20's
then more moderate temps.