Old 03-11-2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Ridge Roofing, Inc. Ridge Roofing, Inc. is offline

Default Bamboo breaking through pond liner

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:23:37 +0000, organic_jann
wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions - much appreciated.

A trench sounds a good idea though it will mean taking up part of the
patio which I guess I had expected to have to do in order to solve the
problem.

A metal collar may also do the trick, though the shoots if they are
coming from the root, may not solve it completely. I could dig a cement
trench as well as place a metal collar.

I'm a little wary of using Roundup as I really don't like using
weedkiller due to there being a lot of wildlife in my garden, as well
as my fish and I'd like to keep my bamboo somehow, even if it means
having to dig it up and replant elsewhere.

Thanks once again for your advice.

Bamboo is a curse. Once it's takes hold there is no stopping it. You
can pour used motore oil on it and it will still thrive. Roundup is
useless against it. Physical barriers are the only answer and it will
still require constant vigilance to keep it within the barrier.