Old 03-11-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Butternut squash.

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I got two butternut squashes each from two plants (Butternut
Sprinter)this year. Perthshire, Scotland. In the open. Quite large
ones too, though oval rather than the normal butternutty pear-shape. So
if next year is anything like this one you shouldn't have any trouble.

We haven't eaten them yet. We're still finishing off the green tomatoes
in curries. I plan to try acorn squashes next year as well.

How long do you expect them to keep?

They keep extremely well - I have just rescued two I purchased at least
2 months ago! They were absolutely fine, even if the seeds showed
their age a bit.
Eating them just in soup is missing out, though, I think. I love just
roasting them (after peeling and slicing) in the oven, alone, or with
parsnips and carrots, with a drizzle of olive oil and a bit of thyme +
rosemary as well as salt and pepper.
If peeling them is too much - skin is quite hard work to cut off - you
can cut them into, scoop out the seeds and bake it in the oven. Then
you simply scoop out the flesh to eat it, and you can even eat the skin
- I'm told, though I tend not to.

Cat(h)