Old 03-11-2006, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Cactus caught in sub temps

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in reply to
lilly
I've been hanging around in the background for a while now and would like
to introduce myself. I'm lilly from Dublin. I've been gardening for 30yrs
and this seems like a lovely place to share.

My query this time is about my cactus. They had been happily living in
the greenhouse all summer (unheated) Normally I take them indoors for the
winter, but this year I got them all as far as the garden table and had
to rush off. Completely forgot about them and last night a hard frost
hit, temps went down to -2deg. I've taken them in but does anyone know if
there will be lasting damage?

I guess you may get away with it. A lot depends on the varieties some of
which are frost hardy particularly in very dry soil. Larger specimens are
more likely to survive a cold spell.

I agree with Rupert, whilst it's true some cannot take any frost a lot of
others are frost hardy, certainly down to -2°C, as it gets very cold at
night in most deserts. What they can't take is frost and wet. Was the
compost dry?

--
Regards
Bob H