Old 04-11-2006, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Cactus caught in sub temps

"white lilly" wrote in message

Hello everyone,
I've been hanging around in the background for a while now and would like
to introduce myself. I'm lilly from Dublin. I've been gardening for 30yrs
and this seems like a lovely place to share.

My query this time is about my cactus. They had been happily living in the
greenhouse all summer (unheated) Normally I take them indoors for the
winter, but this year I got them all as far as the garden table and had to
rush off. Completely forgot about them and last night a hard frost hit,
temps went down to -2deg. I've taken them in but does anyone know if there
will be lasting damage?
Thanks
Lilly

Ooops!
Providing the soil was dry, they might be OK, but if it was wet then I'm not

I'd take them out of their pots and repot with dry earth if necessary. then
put them in a not to warm place and keep your fingers crossed.

What sort of cactus do you have? that makes a difference too. cacti are
hardier than succulents IMO

Jenny
PS my cactus at: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/Plantscacti.htm