Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

Default Council Mulch

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message
As I understand it the local Wollongong council gives away mulch made
from its green waste. You have to get it and load your trailer
yourself - or so I was told.

Has anyone used this stuff, is it composted? or is it full of weed
seeds?

I used some council mulch a few times. I ended up with a cherry tomato
plant that kept coming up each year. Got heaps from it, made some friends
happy - we don't eat tomatoes. The soil is wonderful there now, but I'm
getting *lots* of weeds I'd never seen before.

It probably would have been great if it was composted first, but the way it
improves the soil was worth it. Now I'll get a more expensive mulch to put
over the top of the weed seeds that are still there, and all will be great.

Ours charged $20 or so (I think) if you wanted them to use their scoop to
put it onto your trailer.

Jen