Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Seedlings from new echinacea hybrids?

On 4 Nov 2006 00:50:57 -0800, "Laura at theGardenPages"
wrote:

The only way to get the same exact plant it to root cuttings.
Hybrid seeds won't grow true. Generally, the plant won't match the
hybrid parent. From a Seed Company standpoint that's sort of the point
of a hybrid. You can only get if from them and they can trademark
their product.
sorry!

While I agree the only way to duplicate a hybrid is by cutting or leaf
propagation, I do not believe it is the reason seed companies do this,
forcing you to buy the seed. Echinacea is a perennial, first of all
and it can be divided.